Sleep is a great blessing that our God Allah has given to us to rest and refresh our mind, body, and spirit. Lack of proper sleep can lead to pain, discomfort, and other health issues. There are certain Sunnah and etiquette that Prophet Muhammad PBUH has taught us to sleep religiously and peacefully.
- One should not sleep before Isha prayer. After Isha prayer, there should be no long discussions, and we are encouraged to sleep right after.
- Dust your bed using an edge of a garment three times
- Clean and brush your teeth with a toothbrush and use a Miswaak.
- Make wudu to sleep in purification.
- Switch off all lights, shut all doors and close any containers with food in them. The darker the room, the better to not disturb your sleep.
- Sleep facing the Qibla if possible.
- Sleep on the right side of your body and do not sleep on your left side or your belly. Place your right hand under your right cheek and keep your knees slightly bent.
- Say your dua before you sleep; “O Allah (SWT)! With your name, I die, and I live.”
- Recite the three short Surahs; Al-Ikhlaas, Al-Falaq, and Al-Naas, then place your hands in a cupped position and blow into them. Then wipe over your entire body three times, starting from your head, face, and front of your body.
- Read Surah Al-Mulk as well as the last two verses of Surah Baqarah before going to sleep.
- Read Ayat Al-Kursi to protect you from the devil.
- Recite “Subhan Allah and Alhamadillah” 33 times and then ”Allahu Akbar” 34 times.
- When you awake, say your morning dua; “Praise be to Allah Who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection.”
more from the sincere seeker
Educate Yourself About Your Creator & His Religion